Friday, April 3, 2009

What REALLY happens in Sunday School

I have been meaning to post some funny things that my boys have said or done in Sunday School for a while now, and then I came across this email. :) It is so cute... and very long... so I picked a few of my favorites. :)


A Sunday School teacher was telling her class the story of the Good Samaritan, in which a man was beaten, robbed and left for dead. She described the situation in vivid detail so her students could catch the drama. Then, she asked the class. "If you saw a person lying on the roadside, all wounded and bleeding, what would you do?" A thoughtful little girl broke the hushed silence, "I think I would throw up."


A Sunday School teacher asked, "Johnny, do you think Noah did alot of fishing while he was on the ark? " "No," replied Johnny, "how could he with only two worms?"

A Sunday School teacher was describing how Lot's wife looked back and turned into a pillar of salt, when little Jason interrupted, "My Mommy looked back once, while she was driving," he triumphantly announced, "and she turned into a telephone pole!"

The Sunday School teacher was carefully explaining the story of Elijah the Prophet and the false prophets of Baal. She explained how Elijah built the altar, put wood on it, cut the steer into pieces, and laid it on the altar. And then, Elijah commanded the people of God to fill four barrels of water and pour it over the altar. He had them do this four times "Now," said the teacher, "can anyone in this class tell me why the Lord would have Elijah pour water over the steer on the altar?" A little girl in the back of the room started waving her hand, "I know! I know!" she said. "To make the gravy!"

My stories~

Jared prayed during prayer requests that his cousin's umbilical cord would fall off. (And it did the next day!)

Jathan said when I asked which animal left the ark first, "The dirty ones." (After all that time on the ark, they were all probably really in need of a bath, but I think I would get the dirtiest ones off first. :)

Jathan took up the offering for us, and then took it to his Daddy's study, and then went back into the sanctuary. After service was over, and they would be walking by the study, the money was gone. They saw that the money that they gave to "God" was gone and their conclusion on what happened was that he reached down, and "powered" it up to heaven!!! We really hated to tell them the truth, that their Daddy picked it up to put into the bank to pay for the lights bill, ect for the church and that is how that we call that giving to God. They never were convinced of that no matter how long we spent trying, and even though we never lie to them, they were just sure that God took it up to heaven to him. They would race into the study, and hope to see it go up. Even if the money was still there, they just thought that He was busy, and would get to that later. :) I really wished for their sakes it was a little more glamourous that what really happened to it. :) I wished that I could have asked God to do that for them. :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh I miss those two lil darlins in my class. Sometimes I think Jathan remembered the stories so well he could probably teach the class himself. That is the cutest story(memory for you) about the offering. Thanks for making me smile today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so cute and funny :)
    Love that about God "powering" it up to heaven! :)

    ReplyDelete